Safe and sound

We have arrived safely in Sunny Recife (well it rained all night but it looks like it will be sunny today). Our journey, all be it long, went without hitch and we managed to get some sleep in Frankfurt airport.

We arrived on time into Recife airport with all of our luggage intact. With a combination of bad Spanish and even worse Portuguese, I managed to buy a phone card to call the YWAM base, who in turn called the guy who was waiting for us, and we quickly found each other.

Somehow we managed to fit all of our luggage and 4 of us into a small VW Golf and we started the 45 minute drive to the base. As we made our way through the streets the sights, sounds and smells were a little reminiscent of Bogota, only with slightly less pot holes.

As we passed through the double wrought iron gates, a thin stone track led the way up the hill. It felt slightly comforting to see familiar buildings which we had seen on the web site.

We met a few people and then we where shown to our room. It's a large room, fairly basic with our own shower/toilet room. The room was at the end of a single story building with a tin roof, which we were to later find out is disturbingly noisy when it rains.

The room had it's own front door, a double bed, a set of plastic tables and 2 chairs, a couple of kitchen units, a stove with gas can, and a fridge, all sitting on an incredibly smooth concrete floor. We soon discovered that we were to share our room with termites, large ants, mosquitoes, millipedes, geckoes and a frog (whom we named Quagmire) who helps us out by eating the said termites, large ants, and mosquitoes.

As I started to write this post last night in the communal dinning area, the visiting speaker, came out and asked what she should do with the mouse in her room. I went to help her and her room turned out to be a lovely apartment, well decorated, with lovely furniture. She pointed at a tall vase filled with ornamental sticks and told me the mouse was in there. I took the vase outside, and as I removed the ornamental sticks two large rats jumped out at me, which was somewhat more than I had been expecting. A few lads brandishing broom sticks chased after them furiously beating the ground, but to no avail. I only tell you this story to highlight that, for the sake of my marriage, I am pleased that our significantly less lavish room has no rats!

Anyway that's too many words and not enough pictures so I'll stop writing. I'll put some pictures on soon.

Comments

Emily said…
love it! and no worries about being "verbose".... I make word pictures :)
love you two so much and I'm so happy that you are safely there, at the entrance of your promised land!!

Popular posts from this blog

home visit to Chris

Nutmeg and Orange infused Butter

Changes in Hope house