out on the streets

Last night out on the streets of down town Recife I had the most profound experience. We were approached by a man who needed first aid, which was nothing out of the ordinary as we carry a conspicuous whites box with a red cross on it and regularly give first aid.
On this particular occasion a man was needed to administer the help. as the patient was bleeding from the left butt cheek, which was evident from the large blood stain on his shorts. I was called over and asked to help, to which I agreed, after a brief initiation into what was in the first aid box, I took the man a little down the road to gain a little privacy. The moment had come and he dropped his shorts!! I was face to face with a nasty looking abscess, which was oosing blood and puss.
By this point so many things are rushing through my mind! What am I doing? I am so out of my depth, can I clean this up with out vomiting? how must this man be feeling? will he be able to keep it clean once I have finished? Any way I had to clean him up and disinfect the area. During this whole experience I felt completely out of my depth, but I also felt an amazing amount of compassion for the guy, I just wanted to help, I just wanted it to get better. I hope the expirience wasn't too humiliating for him and that he recovers soon, for me the experience has deeply effected me, and I'm not sure I'll ever recover!

Comments

Anonymous said…
So proud of you, it may of been an Angel n you may of just passed a test from God to see if you really have the compasson we all think we have, you passed with flying colours.as the bible says we may entertain or minisre to Angels and not know, love Mum xxxx ps love the new picc of you both.
Mike Ikwuemesi said…
Well done for going through with it Tony....God will keep you both strong!

Popular posts from this blog

home visit to Chris

Nutmeg and Orange infused Butter

Changes in Hope house